WHAT IS MALANGA?
Malanga is a root vegetable similar to the consistency of a potato. It has great nutritional properties and it is typically consumed in South America, Africa and some tropical regions such as Puerto Rico.
I remember growing up my mom would make boiled malanga with a side of veggie meat and salad.
It is a simple and nutritious food.
HOW TO MAKE MALANGA FRITTERS
- 2 cups peeled and grated malanga
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Avocado oil for frying
- In a medium bowl, add the grated malanga, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder and salt, and combine well.
- Using a spoon (or a scoop) pour the mixture into the hot oil. Fry until all sides are golden.
- Serve with mayoketchup or your favorite sauce.
HOW TO MAKE MAYO-KETCHUP
- 1 cup mayo (I prefer Vegenaise)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Green onions (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients and enjoy.
This is a very simple recipe that would be great as an appetizer or side dish. You could also use another type of root vegetable, such as yautia, yams, yuca, etc. It is always nice to discover other vegetables and explore their flavors.