This is a very easy recipe to put together. The only thing you want to plan ahead is to thaw out the pastry for about 40 minutes. In the meantime you can be preheating the oven and making the filling.
This is a favorite of mine. It has so much flavor, I really enjoy eating it.
- 1 puff pastry sheet (thawed)
- 1 egg mixed with a tablespoon of water
- 1 can of chickpeas (drained)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh green onions
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo (I love Vegenaise)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas and process for about 10 seconds. We want the chickpeas to still be in small pieces and not a paste.
- In a medium bowl, add chickpeas, cilantro, red onions, green onions, lemon juice, vegan mayo, salt and pepper and combine. Set aside.
- Open the pastry sheet and add the chickpea mixture to the center of the sheet.
- Fold the sides of the sheet and place on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Brush the egg wash onto the surface of the pastry sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes and serve.
DO YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO APPLY THE EGG WASH?
The answer is no. It gives it a nice golden color but other than that it is still very delicious.