Red onions are packed with nutrients and can help improve your immune, nervous and digestive system.
Having pickled onions ready in your fridge is great because it adds so much flavor to the meals. You can add it to sandwiches, burgers, wraps, in Mexican dishes, on avocado toast, with meat, and more. It is easy to make, quick and you can add any spices of your liking or other vegetables as well.
- 2 red onions
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups distilled vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (you can substitute for honey or regular granulated sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed (or any other spice you prefer)
- A pinch of white pepper
- Add water, vinegar and salt to a pot and boil. Stir to dissolve.
- Add sugar, dill weed and white pepper (and any other spices you’d like).
- Slice the onions.
- Transfer the slices to a glass jar.
- Pour the hot liquid over the onions and let them cool for about 30 minutes.
- Cover with a lid and store in the fridge.
WHAT OTHER VEGETABLES CAN YOU PICKLE?
You would be surprised if you knew that many vegetables and fruits can be pickled. Such as green beans, beets, bell peppers, asparagus, cauliflower, carrots, fennel, ginger, garlic, mushrooms, radishes, tomatoes, peaches, berries, and many others. It is really simple and delicious.