These pancakes are completely guilt free, in my opinion. Made with wholesome ingredients and, oh so delicious!
I usually make a big batch and when cooled, I place them in a freezer bag and freeze them. This way I can have a quick but nutritious breakfast ready for my hungry kids (and self).
*This recipe makes about 12 small pancakes.
- 3 cups almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon flax meal (for the omega 3 benefit)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup plant based milk (I prefer coconut)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Butter, for the skillet
- Pre-heat the skillet over medium-low. (I prefer cast iron skillets)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, flax meal, and cinnamon).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (milk, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla extract and eggs).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and combine.
- Add butter to the skillet.
- Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop out the batter onto the warm skillet. Cook until small bubbles form on the top of the pancakes or until the bottom is golden, and flip.
- Cook the other side for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve and drizzle your favorite syrup on top. Add fresh fruit or jam.
We are big pancake lovers in our family, so I try to ensure that if we are to eat some foods consistently (a couple of days a week) then it must have good quality ingredients that are nutritious and also very tasty.
WHY DO I ADD FLAX MEAL TO A LOT OF MY RECIPES?
Flax seeds are packed with nutrients, such as protein, fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, as well as some vitamins and minerals. The more nutrients we can add to our meals the better health we will have overall.
WHY IS CEYLON CINNAMON BETTER?
Ceylon Cinnamon contains health promoting properties such as anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antimicrobial effects. As opposed to regular (cassia) cinnamon, Ceylon cinnamon it does not contain a harmful ingredient called coumarin, which can be harmful to the liver if consume in large amounts.
One thought on “Almond Chocolate Chip Pancakes (Gluten Free)”