I first made these cauliflower wings for the Super Bowl LV and they were a hit. I have continued to make them and it is just a flavorful appetizer or complement to a meal. They can be enjoyed by themselves or with a ranch dressing. I have a vegan, creamy, homemade dressing recipe; Vegan Creamy Dill Pickle Dressing that would be perfect to pair with these wings. I have fried and baked them, and both ways worked out just fine.
I say that these wings are cheesy because I add Nutritional Yeast that naturally has a cheesy flavor. I like to add Nutritional Yeast to some of my recipes to include the benefit of the vitamin B12 that it provides.
- 1 head cauliflower (I prefer organic)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (canned) (or the milk of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten free flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- Avocado oil for frying
- Ranch dressing or Vegan Creamy Dill Pickel Dressing (for dipping)
- Wash and cut the cauliflower head into bite size florets. Set aside.
- Pour coconut milk into a small bowl and set aside.
- Add oil to the skillet and heat to medium-high.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients to a medium size bowl. Whisk it all together until well combined.
- Dip a piece of cauliflower into the milk and coat it with the dry mixture. You can do this to all the pieces and place them on parchment paper and then fry them, or you can dip, coat and directly fry instead of placing them on parchment paper.
- Serve with dressing.
If you prefer, you can bake them at 400º F for 20 minutes. Once the pieces are coated and on the baking sheet, spray avocado oil over them and bake until golden.