WHAT IS MOFONGO?
Mofongo is a Puerto Rican dish, fried green plantains filled with meat and/or vegetables.
- 2 green plantains, unripe
- Avocado oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Peel the plantains and cut them in about 1 inch length.
- Fry the plantains in avocado oil, turn them when each side is cooked and golden.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the mortar.
- Peel the garlic cloves and mash them in the mortar (pilon), transfer the paste to a small bowl and set aside.
- In a separate small bowl add water, salt, garlic powder and onion powder to make the broth, set aside.
- Start adding a few fried plantains to the mortar, add some of the garlic paste and broth and mash it all together. Add another layer of those same ingredients, mash them, until you get to the top of the mortar.
- Transfer the mofongo to a plate and fill with vegetables and/or veggie meat.
- Repite the last two steps to make more mofongos.
This recipe makes about 2-3 mofongos.
The greener the plantains, the better the flavor will be.
Here is the recipe for the veggie meat/seitan https://wp.me/pcOthW-eL.