The Best Vegan Creamed Spinach
If you happen to have a lot of fresh spinach sitting in your fridge and you know it will go bad in the next few days, this is the recipe for it. Because that is exactly what happened to me. And I am glad that spinach was there. There is so much flavor in this creamy spinach that you will not regret it. It is great for the little ones as well, as they pretty much love creamy foods and will disregard the green part in it. (wink-wink)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/4 cup red onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (grated)
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour (could be gluten free as well)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3 cups fresh spinach (chopped)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk (canned)
- 2 tablespoons cashew cream (see recipe here)
- In a Dutch oven, (or a small-medium sized pan) heat butter over medium-high.
- Add onions, garlic and sauté.
- Stir in the flour and seasonings.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and stir.
- Add the spinach.
- Stir in the coconut milk and cashew cream.
- Add more salt if needed.
- Let it simmer on medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
If you prefer not to have the coconut milk, you can add more cashew cream instead.