Arepas are made with corn flour, and usually stuffed with cheese, and several other fillings. I learned how to make arepas from a dear Colombian friend that also lived in Venezuela for several years. That is why my recipe has a twist, because it is not quite traditional, but oh so tasty!
- 4 cups Harina PAN https://amzn.to/3fdqRGW
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mozzarella shredded cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoon flaxmeal
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl and combine well with your hands, until the mixture is smooth (see picture below).
- Form balls and place them on the arepa maker (or flatten them and place them in an oiled pan).
- If cooking them in the arepa maker, set the timer to 15 minutes or until golden.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Scrambled eggs
- Creamy Avocado – Combine all ingredients
- 3 avocados (mashed)
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup tomatoes (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Veggie Meat/Seitan https://wp.me/pcOthW-eL
I have to tell you, once you try arepas, you are going to eat them forever. You cannot live without eating arepas at least once a month. It is just one of those meals that are so full of flavor, with so many options for fillings, and a crowd pleaser.
Here is the link to get a similar arepa maker (mine is very old); https://amzn.to/3f53YWd.