These buns are super easy and quick to make. There is nothing like serving your family with fresh baked buns. Not to mention the lovely smell that will be in your house when is bread making day!
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar (or honey)
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup melted butter (cooled)
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of your stand mixer (Kitchen Aid) or food processor.
- Use the dough hook and mix on low (speed 1) for 5 minutes.
- The dough might be slightly sticky, but it will work just fine.
- Add a light layer of butter to a large cast iron skillet and/or 9×13 baking dish.
- To shape the buns, cut the dough into medium pieces.
- Roll each piece and flatten it with your hand, then tuck in the corners and place on the skillet or baking dish.
- Cover the skillet with a towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove the towel and bake for 20 minutes.
This recipe makes about 7 buns.