This bread is a staple in our house. Ever since the pandemic started, I decided to make my own bread. And because we’ve loved it so much, I make it a few times a month. I alternate between my Sourdough Artisan Bread (https://wp.me/pcOthW-87) and this recipe. I’ve also used whole wheat flour, or a mix of both white and whole wheat. Either way, it is just as delicious.
It makes me feel so good to be able to make my own bread. It sort of makes me feel empowered. And I know I can just buy bread from the grocery store and not have to wait and go through the process, but let me tell you, the look on my kids’ faces when the house smells like a bakery, it’s just the best!
- 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 package dry active yeast
- 1 1/4 cup warm water (divided)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon flax meal
- 3 1/2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- Add the yeast, 1/4 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon of honey to a small bowl and combine. Let it sit for about 3 minutes or until it is bubbly.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer (Kitchen Aid).
- Pour the yeast and mix on low (with the dough attachment) until the flour is combined.
- Knead for 5 minutes (speed #2).
- In the meantime, warm the oven for 5 minutes and turn it off.
- Transfer the dough with a spatula to a lightly oil large size bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let it rise in the oven (while it is off) for an hour.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and shape it by rolling the dough and tucking the ends.
- Place the dough in an oiled bread pan. Cover with a towel and let it rise for another 30-40 minutes on the counter.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack and let it cool for about 25 minutes.
*Flaxseed is such a nutritional powerhouse. It is one of the very few plant sources of omega-3 fatty acids and has a tremendous amount of antioxidants. It is also very high in fiber. To be able to get those benefits, it is important to know that flaxseed needs to be ground. If it is eaten whole, the benefits will be passed through the body undigested.*