- 1/4 cup sourdough starter (or all purpose flour)
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons for sautéing
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon flax meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6.05 oz vital wheat gluten https://amzn.to/3qzzgXk
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped)
- 10 chives (chopped)
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, add all the ingredients (except onion, pepper, and chives) and combine on low (speed 1) for one minute.
- Knead (on speed 2) for 3-4 minutes. Scrape the edges with a spatula and combine.
- Shape the dough and add to a medium size bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it ferment for an hour.
- Transfer the dough to a sheet of aluminum paper and cover.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot and arrange the steamer basket on the bottom.
- Place the seitan in and put the lid on.
- Steam for 30 minutes.
- Remove the seitan from the Instant Pot and transfer to a cutting board.
- Cut the seitan in thin pieces.
- In a large skillet, add oil, chopped seitan, chopped onion and bell pepper and sauté.
- Optional- Add 4 tablespoons of soy sauce and other seasonings of your liking.
- Add the chives.
- Serve with rice.
Note: You do NOT need to have a sourdough starter for this recipe, just use all purpose flour or any flour you prefer. I just love to use my sourdough starter for as many recipes as I can, to get its benefits.
What is Seitan?
Seitan is made out of the protein found in wheat, called gluten.
After making and eating this tasty seitan, I told my husband that I won’t be buying canned veggie meat any time soon, because it is very easy to make and I can add herbs and flavors as I please.
In this recipe, I added Italian seasoning but by all means you can add other herbs, fresh or dried, other seasonings. I also added soy sauce when I sautéd the seitan with the veggies but you do not need to do so, you can add other sauces, or none at all.
By making your own seitan, your possibilities are endless, you can make so many meals with this basic recipe.
Also, if you don’t have a sourdough starter, do not fret. You do not have to add it, you can just add regular all purpose flour and it will be just fine. If you would like to make your sourdough starter, here is the link to my post https://wp.me/pcOthW-a.
I use my stand mixer (Kitchen Aid) to make the dough, but if you don’t have one you can either use a food processor with the dough blade or combine and knead the dough by hand for about 5-7 minutes.
I also used my Instant Pot to steam the seitan, but if you don’t have one, you can steam it on your stove.
Flaxseed is such a nutritional powerhouse. It is one of the very few plan sources of omega-3 fatty acids and has a tremendous amount of antioxidants. It is also very high in fiber. To be able to get those benefits, it is important to know that flaxseed needs to be ground. If it is eaten whole, the benefits will be passed through the body undigested.
Products I recommend:
Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer https://amzn.to/3d5FObG
My Instant Pot https://amzn.to/3vVKyci
My Cast Iron Skillet https://amzn.to/3d27wG5 Currently on sale!
My favorite ALL PURPOSE Knife https://amzn.to/2QCxCrO